The Uniting Principle

As the Nehemiah series continues, I'm finding Iove this story.  I've said that before, but I'm saying it again, I LOVE IT!  This morning the Nehemiah Study Guide recommended we read over Ephesians 4:2-3.  Have you ever read that passage?  No, I mean really read it.  I added the first verse for context sake. 

I therefore,  a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. ~Ephesians 4:1-3

After reading the passage, I thought, hmmm that's nice.  However, my curiosity was piqued.  What did that really mean?  Oh my!  I love words and language.  It is a passion of mine. So from time to time I'll study the words to get the full impact of the verse.  This is what I got.  Granted, it is my interpretation, so disagree if you will.

Angie Interpretation
Walk with humbleness of mind (you're not the best thing to happen to the world)
Walk with moral excellence that is useful (what good is it if you're moral and you are of no help to anyone)
Walk with a long enduring temper (in the same way that they get on your last nerve, you get on theirs so relax)
Hold yourself up in love for another (If you depend on others to make you feel good you'll get let down.  Besides feelings are fleeting and cannot be trusted.  So remember that you love them and operate out of that fact.)
Use speed, be prompt and earnest to keep the unity of the Spirit in the uniting principle of peace(Don't put making peace off until tomorrow, it may be too late.)

How different would churches look if we operated out of this understanding?  How different would our interactions with each other be?  How would our marriages endure?  How would our parenting change?  It's amazing to me to see how practical and useful this can be to my life.  I just thought I'd share it with you all.  Hope it helps.

0 comments: