A New Hat & a Strong Heart

Sometimes I smile when I think of what God has done in my life.  God has been so good, He's been just that good.  I was once so afraid of life, love, and new experiences.  This week, as I tackle tasks that require so much of me, I smile.  Who is this person?  Who does she think she is?  She believes she can change the world.  She is no longer filled with fear.  She looks for new experiences.  Who is this person?  She is a woman in love with God, the one who has been so faithful and good.  The Bible passage comes rushing to the front of my mind and I must share it. 

 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor;
   he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion— to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;

~ Isaiah 61: 1-3

As Israel is in the middle of a hard age in history, at this point, they receive this promise from God.  I read this as a little girl and told God, if You can help these people, You can help me.  My heart was broken at a very young age, in my mind, I was poor, I felt like a prisoner of one who would choose evil over and over again, so I knew I would qualify for the blessing.  I realize I was a child and my thinking was a bit warped, but I believed God would give me a beautiful hat to replace the ashes someday.  I believed He would fill my life with gladness and give me a strong heart to replace the sadness and fear. It took a while to realize those dreams, but He has blessed my life so greatly.  I have clung to God with ferocity and when I have let go, He has held me even more ferociously.  I suppose my point is, God comes through.  He may not come through in our time frame, but He comes through in His time frame.  If your life is broken, if your heart is destroyed, if you are prisoner to sin, pain, hurt, anything, if you need a new hat and some new clothes to replace the rags of shame and disappointment....I have an answer for you...GOD.  God is so good....He's been just that good to this little girl from the neighborhood.

0 comments: