Stop Whining, Start Living


I just finished Laura Schlesinger's book titled Stop Whining, Start Living and I think it is a great read for anyone on the planet. One would think the book discusses easy ways to overcome a whining personality, but I found it to be quite the contrary. Dr. Schlesinger took a practical approach to life's situations and the necessity to distinguish how much time is healthy to mull and maybe whine over their occurrence. It also provided some ideas on how to shift perspective on life's situations. My favorite example is this. Your husband doesn't clean up after himself. It makes you angry. You can either whine about it, which is sometimes what I do or you can imagine a life without him. You can image that the house is immaculately clean without him. He is not there. For me that is a huge loss and to give up my husband for a clean house is ludicrous. A clean house would mean my husbands hugs, kisses, reassuring words, and laughter were gone. A few items to pick up here and there, so worth it. That is just one example. There are many. She has a straightforward approach that may sting from time to time, but if you stick with it you just may find she has a bit of wisdom you might want to apply to your life.

0 comments: