Steering A Ship


Yesterday's reading included Acts 16 and I was unprepared for the provocation of thoughts it would lead to. Paul decides to visit Asia and is stopped by the Holy Spirit. So he heads over to Bithinia and again he is prevented from continuing. I would imagine that Paul is starting to get a little frustrated with this. He is desperately pursuing God's will for his life and it seems he is being stopped at every turn. BUT what if that isn't what is happening? What if, he wasn't sure where to go so he decided to start moving and trust that the spirit would guide him? Maybe he wasn't sure what the next step was, but figured he would start moving anyway and trust God to come through? I once heard a long time ago (when I was 18) that a ship is better steered when it is moving. Trying to steer a ship that is stationary is pretty difficult. Which led me to my next thought. We, as a family, are faced with so much chaos and it's easy to believe we're just going around in circles, but maybe we are exactly where God wants us. From all appearances we keep moving and heading in directions that don't seem to make sense only to be led in a different direction, and I've been frustrated with myself and God wondering if maybe I'm not hearing from Him, or worse, HE isn't coming through for us. BUT He is faithful. HE has us just where He wants us. I'll just keep moving where HE leads and trust that He will always come through for us.

0 comments: