My Favorite Pair of Shorts

Ephesians 4:21-24
21
Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him,
22
throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception.
23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.
24
Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.

I've been thinking on this subject lately and I always hear things like, "I have my rights" and "I am owed..." and realize that according to this verse we don't really have "rights" as Christians. It's true we are sons and daughters of the King and with that comes great privilege. However, if you're reading Ephesians the way that I'm reading it you'll see those rights get laid aside. As I lay aside my old sinful nature and my former way of life, I lay aside my natural responses and reactions. I lay aside what I want to do if it doesn't line up with what God has called me to do. If it doesn't line up with God's Word it must go. I agree with the author of Ephesians, my old nature and former way of life is corrupted by lust and deception. I often times cannot trust my flesh to do the right thing. Which is why it is important for me to let the Spirit renew my thought and attitudes. I must put on my new nature that was created to be like God, truly righteous and holy. This isn't an easy task.
This verse reminds me of my favorite pair of shorts. I loved that pair of shorts. When I first got them I looked good in them. I was hot. I was in the process of losing weight at the time, a great thing, and you can probably guess what happened next. As I lost weight the shorts got bigger. They didn't fit me the way they should. After a while I looked horrible in them, but that didn't stop me. I kept on wearing them. It wasn't until my mother pointed out, so lovingly, that I should stop wearing them, seeing as they made me look heavier than I was. I stopped wearing them to avoid further embarrassment, but the sad thing is that I kept those shorts for a few weeks longer. I seriously contemplated gaining more weight so I could get back into them. I finally got rid of them, but they serve as a reminder to me that getting rid of the old nature and way of life isn't always as easy as it seems. It's a good thing to pursue, but if it holds any of the sentimental value those shorts held for me, you'll need to work a little harder at letting it go.

0 comments: