PERFECT LOVE

I was at a retreat not too long ago and I heard Beth Moore speak on Loving Well. Her premise was that we are called to love as Christ loved. The point, Beth made, the one I have been pondering this weekend is this: He is perfect. Thus His love is perfect. The way HE loves is perfect. He does
not wake up one morning and say "If Angie screws up one more time, that's it. I'm zapping her and she is gone." No! He ALWAYS loves me. His love endures forever (Psalms 136:2). The way He demonstrates His love for me is perfect. His level of love for me is always the same.
My ability to love is not. I can wake up one morning and decide I am not in the mood to love. And so my day begins. Those days usually are my worst. It's this whole premise of acting out of my feelings that I have decided is ruining my quality of life. I'm trying to act out of my emotion and my emotion is fleeting. I am made in God's image, but I am imperfect, and so my ability to love and show love is imperfect. As I spoke with my husband we came to this conclusion. I want to be a godly woman. I want to wake up with that desire everyday. This NEVER happens. I've been waiting for the feeling to arise in me and it does not come. I am trying to make my feeling match my desire when I should be pursuing my desire to be a godly woman regardless of the feeling. So what if I make the decision to wake up and be a godly woman, regardless of the feeling. What if I decide every morning that I am going to make the choices a godly woman would make. I am going to behave as a godly woman before the feeling shows up.
I realize this sounds a little simple and a little too easy. If that is so, then take the challenge with me. If it sounds so easy, do it with me. Let's see what kind of people it makes us. I'm a little nervous, since the feeling to back this up is no where in site, but what I have been doing isn't working. What have I got to lose?

0 comments: