Nagging vs. Praying

I've been reading the Bill Hybels book Too Busy Not Too Pray and right off the bat he tells the story of the widow who pesters the unjust judge to get justice. If you're not familiar with the story, she gets him to give her justice. Unfortunately, the comparison in my mind has always been that I am to be like the nagging widow. I will need to pester God to get what I want. Who wants to do that? Not me. I have too much nagging I am already doing. I nag my children, I nag my husband, I nag myself. I am full on my nagging quota and I am tired of hearing myself. I mean really, I am tired of hearing the things that come out of my mind. However, Hybels suggests that we are not the nagging widow, and God is not an unjust judge. He wants me to bring my stuff to Him. He wants to help me. I won't have to nag to get Him to listen to me. So, I've decided. I know, it sounds so easy right? But I'm that kind of gal. I decided I'm going to start praying about the things that torment my mind on a daily basis, and I have lots of them. I'll start off with two daily challenges, to get me into the habit. I know God will keep His end of the bargain, the challenge will be ME.
Romans 12:12 says, Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Colossians 4:2 says Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 says pray continually
So if I am to do this I must be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer, I must devote myself to prayer, being watchful and thankful, and I am to pray continually. Yeah, already I have some doubts. I'll have to take this one day at a time. Who knows, it most likely will work.

0 comments: