Jehovah-jireh

As I was growing up, we were always doing some sort of study either with our school or church. They usually had something to do with the tabernacle and the days of the Israelites during their 40 years of wandering in the desert. I remember doing one that studied the Hebrew names of God.
Random sidebar - my husband has taken a second job to help supplement our income. It isn't as much money as he would wish, but as he says, some money is better than no money. I both admire and respect his desire to provide for our family at such sacrificing extremes. It has been a huge adjustment to our family with regards to our schedule and time together. I find we are fighting ferociously to keep the time we spend together, as a unit, in tact.
Okay so as I was preparing laundry this morning and praying over my family, my husband in particular a song we used to sing in this class came to my mind. Usually the teacher would find a song that went with the name we were studying to reinforce the memory.
Jehovah-jireh, my provider, His grace is sufficient for me
My God shall supply all my needs, according to His riches in glory
He will give His angels charge over me
Jehovah-jireh cares for me.
I'm sure you'll think it's a strange thing to be remembering, but I really believe those things we learn as children stay with us throughout our lives, whether we want them to or not. My God shall supply for all my needs. He supplied for the need of encouragement today and will supply any other need I will have today. He is so good and so faithful. I am both renewed in my commitment to press on into this new season God has us in, and to continue inscribing God onto the hearts of our children. I want God to be able to use those things we teach them to encourage them when they are facing a difficult time.

Jehovah-jireh - "Jehovah will see it," or "Jehovah will provide," or "Jehovah will be seen." The first time this name was used for God was in Genesis. Abraham used it to celebrate God's provision of a ram to replace Isaac on the altar.
I believe the study we did was by C.H. Spurgeon.

0 comments: