What is the World Should We Do?

As my hubby and I change our perspective from protecting our kids from the world to educating them about what our role as followers of Christ are in this world we find ourselves doing things slightly different. The other day we went to a gym to watch our 9 year old play basketball. Afterward we made a pit stop at the locker rooms to use the porcelain seats (it was my husbands suggestion). Now if anyone knows kids you know that girls, in particular, will use any excuse to check out a new restroom. My daughter is no different. HOWEVER, anyone who has been in a locker room knows not everyone adheres to the same dress code or code of modesty that I do. So my little lady was exposed to some very mature anatomy that I had hoped to postpone. I laugh now as I envision my self trying to keep from covering her eyes, scream with disapproval, and hurry us both out of there as fast as possible. It must have been a sight. However in true form, we tried to walk out with some normalcy and decorum, that is until the sweet girl dropped her toys on the ground. The decorum was lost, I screamed at her to hurry up and pick up her toys, and pushed her out of the bathroom. As we emerged I shot my wonderful hubby a look of sheer anger. Of course he was confused as I scooted us all up the stairs and out of the door. I blamed him for the ordeal (it was his suggestion after all) and tried to get to our vehicle as fast as possible. I was halfway there when I heard a small voice from within say, "Time to educate her about her world and her role."
"GOD! You don't play fair!"
I slowed down and let my little girl catch up with me. Her head was down and she was very quiet.
"Are you okay?" my tone had changed to the more loving and caring voice I prefer to hear from myself.
"Yeah." she muttered quietly.
"Are you embarrassed by what you saw?" I asked her with a giggle.
"Yeah." she giggled back to me. "Why wasn't she wearing any clothes? Didn't she know we all could see her?"
As we continued to the car I explained to her that everyone has a different level of modesty, and some don't feel there is anything wrong with people seeing their bodies. I let her know I was a little embarrassed as well, but that no one had done anything wrong, it was just our reaction to a new experience. She asked a couple more questions and finished with "Can we go eat now?" and I knew we were done.
I so wanted to protect her from that...or at least delay it a little longer. But I realize, she had that experience with me and we were able to talk about it, laugh about it, and grow as mother and daughter. I can tell this is going to be a fun adventure, but it will require me to look at my world with different eyes.

**I don't look down on anyone who shares this woman's modesty level or judge in any way. But when you and your kids see a naked body together for the first time you'll understand what I must have gone through that morning.**

0 comments: