To Light or Not To Light

Matthew 5:14 - 16
“You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. (NLT)
What I would like to know is this: What am I doing right now to put my light under a basket? What am I doing to place my lamp on a stand where it gives light to everyone in the house? How am I letting my good deeds shine for all to see, so that everyone will praise My heavenly Father? The sad truth is: my light is under a basket right now? I prefer to keep it there. It is safe and secure. I know where to find it. I know it won't be blown out if it is under a basket. No one can touch it. No one can criticize it. No one can comment on whether it is an effective light or not. But the reality of that truth is that the longer you keep a light under a basket the more you increase the risk of it suffocating and going out. Your light will extinguish for lack of air. My family is my light. God has asked us to move our family out of a comfortable, Christian environment into a more public venue. God has asked us to put ourselves in places where we will encounter more unchurched people than churched people. I would prefer to stay in the safety of my comfort zone. However, isn't that putting my light under a basket? If God has asked me to move out in faith and I choose to disobey, I am sinning.
It's easy to do good deeds for those who share your faith but what does it prove about how powerful God is if I choose to do those same good deeds for those who will not understand what I do?

0 comments: