Pressed On Every Side

The thing I love about martial arts, is that it gives me a physical frame of reference on certain aspects of spiritual combat. Today I had to do an exercise where I am at center of two lines. Each person in the line takes turns attacking me and I am to defend. They only get one shot, but they are prepared to attack as I am not. It was intense but exhilarating as I turned to meet each attacker. At first I felt barraged and wanted to pull the old lady card and excuse myself from the exercise, but found myself pushing past that feeling, into the ready stance. It dawned on me that I just needed to know that I was being attacked and that at every turn I must prepare myself to defend against the attack. It brought to my memory this verse, "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed" 2 Corinthians 4:8-9. The enemy of my heart is going to attack when I am not prepared. My best defense against this is not to wish for a cease fire, but to be prepared to defend. Be prepared to fight back. Be prepared to be pressed on every side.

0 comments: