Life Stories

I awake this morning with a slight sushi and chocolate hangover and realize, I have shared my life story with someone. I knew I was doing it. I was slightly intoxicated with the comforting flavors of a yummi-yummi roll or was it the rich chocolate sauce of the chocolate volcano. I can't decide now. Nonetheless, it was a conscious decision. We spoke with our dear friends about life stories and why we don't share them. We spoke of the significance of our life stories in our faith and their importance to our community of faith. I didn't intend to share my story and I was really trying to find a way to avoid the whole matter all together, but found myself sharing it regardless. My husband pointed out that we often hesitate to share our stories for fear that we will be judged, criticized, or blackmailed. I have to agree with him. But as I put more thought into it this morning I realize that my greatest fear is that my story will invoke feelings of pity. Why is that such a bad thing? Why wouldn't I want those things? And as those questions emerge my lips I am immediately enlightened, I want no part of pity and I want none offered to me. Someone once told me long ago and I hold this to be true in my life...pity is crippling to one who wishes to overcome. I endeavor to overcome any cruelty, injustice, pain, or loss I have experienced, and transform those experiences into strength and beauty in my life. What I desire has only to do with respect for what I've allowed God to do in me, admiration that I have not quit, and inspiration that if someone like me can make a comeback, you can too.

0 comments: