Skandalon

Today my reading took me to Luke 17:1 - 2. It's kinda funny because I was listening in on a conversation that discussed this particular topic, I was talking with Dad(God) and asking Him to help me understand what my responsibility to other's was. So, when I came to my assignment today I had to laugh at how faithful He is to answer me. For those unfamiliar with it, here it is in the King James Version.
Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
That's pretty intense and I would never want to cause someone to stumble and I would never want to hurt someone's relationship with God. I've heard many interpretations of this particular verse and when I read it today I did a little research. The word used for offences is skandalon (look familiar, scandal?). The definition is the movable stick or trigger of a trap, a trap stick, a trap, a snare, any impediment placed in the way and causing one to stumble or fall, any person or thing by which on is (entrapped) drawn into error or sin. There is more, but they are pretty much the same idea. The offence here is an intentional one. It is a deliberate attempt to cause someone to stumble. It is a snare or trap I set for them and for that Jesus says WOE TO YOU! I've always operated under the assumption that I'm responsible to those who are watching me. I am responsible to behave in a manner that won't cause them to stumble or fall or else I'm in trouble. It's a little overwhelming I must admit to have this responsibility. I've based this idea on Luke 17:1. But as I examined it closer today I understand what offence means. It is a deliberate attack on their relationship with God. I am called to live a holy life, but not for the sake of those who are watching me, but for the sake of my soul. I am called to love others around me with the love of Christ, for the sake of their souls. I can do that!

0 comments: