Skiing the Big Mountain

So this week we realized a truth about our parenting. It is one of those truths that you learn and slap yourself in the head in vintage V8 fashion. How did we miss that one? We have searched for a new perspective on our parenting. We've felt like idiots who beat their head against the wall hoping the wall will crumble before concussion sets in. It is the grace of God that continues to enlighten us to the new and wonderful lessons of parenthood, and I am forever thankful for his faithfulness.
So you're wondering what the lesson is, or maybe you're not. I'm going to tell you anyway. My son tackled a fear this week. He has been wanting to ski with us for a couple of years now, but we've been sending him to ski school to prepare him. This year he got his chance. He was terrified and we knew it. To be honest I was terrified. I wanted him to succeed. I wanted him to feel the confidence that comes from tackling a fear. He was willing to try but reluctant to put himself completely into the task. After about one hour of "negotiating" my son took on the bunny hill. My son won. After he conquered the bunny hill he was ready to take on the big mountain. I wasn't so ready. His next task was taking on the big mountain. It was at this time daddy and I realized the only thing that stood in the way of him and the big mountain was us. He wanted to try it and we were going to have to let him. He took it on. He won. The lesson learned. Listen to your child. If he thinks he can take something on, let him take it on. Otherwise, it translates "Mommy and Daddy don't think you can handle this. We think you will fail." Not the message I want to send either of my kids.

0 comments: