Happy New Your

New Year's Eve found me sitting with my family, sipping Elgin wine (Bisbee Copper is nice). As I sat there, I did a mental musical montage of my past year. The song, Little Wonders by Rob Thomas; the images, Isaac makes first contact with a basketball and falls in love for the first time; Elisa baking cookies...all by herself; skiing and not breaking my leg; John and the kids playing together and laughing so hard they can't breathe; Vincent waiting in the hall with his teammates, preparing to play a game. It has been a great year.
As the ball dropped, and Dick Clark so valiantly mumbled the countdown that would start 2008, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction. There are so many things that I didn't think I could do this year and yet I did them. I didn't think I would get back on the ski's after I broke my leg. I was nervous, but I did it anyway. I didn't think we could homeschool and be happy with it, I really doubted my character to do a good job and not drive my kids insane. I was scared and yet we are doing it. I didn't think we could be the parents of a teenager without any preparation. I wanted to throw up with the terror of it, but we are making it one day at a time. I didn't think I could join martial arts. I am seriously doubting my mental status on this decision, but I am going to do it anyway.
IF I had to say I have learned anything this year it would be this: I have learned to fail. I have learned to take chances and I have learned to make mistakes gracefully. I have learned that I am not good at some things, but as I have failed at those things I have learned that I am good at other things. I don't like making mistakes, but I have learned that mistakes are one of the best way to learn. And this year I have learned alot. A year ago the mistakes would have been an indicator, to me, of my failures. This year, I have to smile as I realized it's an indicator of little successes. I have succeeded over some of my fears, and as I overcome these fears, I am able to better appreciate those little wonders in my life. How can that be a failure? But don't worry, I still have plenty of fears left to overcome. So there will be plenty of mistakes to look forward to in 2008.
Final thought: Years ago, my Tio Manuel celebrated New Years with our family for the first time. He joined us as we rang in the new year with the traditional American "Happy New Year". His English wasn't as clear then as it is now so it sounded as if he was saying "Hoppy New Your!". So since then, our family always brings in the new year with the now traditional "Hoppy New Your!" So here's wishing you a HOPPY NEW YOUR!

0 comments: