Rocky Balboa-isms

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! ~ Rocky Balboa

This week in class I got my butt kicked. I got hit so many times, I wanted to throw my helmet on the floor and demand that people stop hitting me. I wanted to cry. I wanted to quit. I felt weak and inadequate. Then, as I was about to give in to the urge to quit, I remembered this quote. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. A renewed sense of purpose filled my tired muscles and I finished the class. Such a foreshadowing of my week.

This week has been a rough one for my family and I admit, everything in me wants to stop moving forward. What's the point? What's the point of being strong, holding on to morals and values, what's the point of striving to hold on to convictions that seemingly have no place in this world? I want to throw my helmet down and demand that life quits hitting me, challenging my convictions, demeaning the morals and values I hold dear. But life will not tend to my request. Can I keep moving forward? Can my family keep moving forward? I have spent the week calling out to God, pleading that this cup before us be taken away. It's too painful to watch those I love ache with sorrow and pain, as I am helpless. I can do nothing. Please God, I changed my mind. It costs too much to follow you.....but ultimately not my will but Yours be done. My resignation to this truth, in my life, makes way for a renewed sense of strength to flood my soul, heart, and spirit muscles as I move forward.

1 comments:

Jaime said...

I have always enjoyed the rocky movies. Well, maybe not number 5 so much.

Can you believe that Diane has never seen any of them? I even have the first one on DVD.

Glad to see your still taking on the world, even when it gets tough.

Jaime said...

I have always enjoyed the rocky movies. Well, maybe not number 5 so much.

Can you believe that Diane has never seen any of them? I even have the first one on DVD.

Glad to see your still taking on the world, even when it gets tough.