Waking The Dead Woman In Me

I've been reading this book titled "Waking the Dead" by John Eldredge. He's the same man who authored Wild at Heart, which is a good read for any man or woman married to a man. I highly recommend both books. "Waking the Dead" speaks of the desire in each of us to live a life full of purpose and adventure. Our truest selves are struggling to be truly alive and free. He suggests that we are conditioned to quiet, even quench that aspect of ourselves.
So far, I agree with his statements. I am a dramatic and passionate person. I have always been and am beginning to believe I always will be. It has been something I detest in myself. This aspect of my personality is one I have chained up and put in a closet to be kept quiet an unseen, lest someone think I am a little on the eccentric side. As I am exploring what it means to be a feral Christian, I realize I was wrong to have done this. God created me to be who I am and to deny myself that is to deny what He has created me to be. God created me to be passionate about my life. I ought not fight this fact. Let's take music, for example. It is a passion of mine. If I could have music following me around to create a soundtrack for my life, I would. When I think of any experience there is a song attached to to. When John and I think of how we fell in love we think of songs like "When I Fall In Love", "Always and Forever", and "In Your Eyes". When we think of the trials we went through when Isaac was born we think of "I Get Knocked Down" by Chumbawumba. When I think of my love affair with God I think of songs like "Now That You're Near", "Undignified", and "From the Inside Out". Music is a huge part of me and I have denied it. Why? Because it makes me feel weird to be so passionate about something as simple as notes and melodies and lyrics. But the reality is, I am weird, and that's okay.
Just for the record, I break into song at the drop of a hat, and when I'm ultimately inspired I write poetry. I'm sharing a poem I wrote two years ago, as my first step to exploring my ferality. Don't be too harsh.

1 comments:

Thesauros said...

It is so cool when we find out that God doesn't want to change who we are. He just changes what we do with who we are. Enjoy God forever and ever. Blessings

Thesauros said...

It is so cool when we find out that God doesn't want to change who we are. He just changes what we do with who we are. Enjoy God forever and ever. Blessings