He Is My Portion

Lamentations 3:22-25 (New International Version)

22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;

We are not consumed, because of the LORD's great love. His compassions never fail. I guess I never noticed that this verse said His compassions never fail. I always read it, His compassion never fails. There is the indication that there are plural compassions and they are new every morning. His faithfulness is great! I think about my life and my personality and I chuckle to myself as I realize, it must take many compassions to deal with me. It's a good thing that these compassions are new every morning. How can the LORD not be my portion? If I wake up with the knowledge that every morning he is ready to take on the day with me, why isn't He enough some days. Why do I not wait for Him? Why do I rush through my day without Him? Why do I make decisions based out of fear and haste instead of turning to Him for His Will? If I believe what the scripture says I would believe that the LORD is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him. Maybe that's the answer. Sometimes, life gets hard. Sometimes, life gets scary, and many times we lose focus of the promises we have been given by God. The author of Lamentations says this in the verses leading up to these verses. HE has lost sight of the promises and is starting to panic. It is amid this panic attack that he remembers something. He remembers, God has promised to help me. That one brief thought sparks the run home. God always helps me. All I have to do is call. It doesn't matter if I am so far from where I started, He will hear me when I call and He will answer. He won't lecture me. He won't scold me. He won't remind me of how badly I have messed up. He just answers and loves me. He is my portion. He is enough. He is all I need.

0 comments: